Here you will find the chronicles of the crazy crook crew...enjoy!

Here you will find the chronicles of the crazy crook crew...enjoy!
I want to live in each season fully, celebrate the chapters as they end, and anticipate the next with only joy! God gets all the glory for the story He's written for our family! A family designed and defined by Him through foster care and adoption. If you've got some time, stay a while...and grab a kleenex;) Each chapter is beautiful and heart wrenching and breathtaking and God is ALWAYS good!

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Shifting

I wrote the blog below over a month ago and didn't click publish.  Some of you probably know we had a court hearing last week...and after 15 months of inconsistency and irresponsibility and having no real investment in his daughter's life, the judge ordered that our baby girl start having weekend sleepovers with her birth father. Starting immediately.  We walked out of the courtroom feeling confused and heart broken. I've been trying so hard to make sense of it...to find the wisdom in her decision.  I think I might know what she's trying to do...but I hate that it's at our baby girl's expense.  And you know what?  I understand that we're all in this for mom and dad...DCS, us, the various providers, we're all doing our "part" to help them. So they can improve, get on their feet, learn how to parent appropriately.  But my God...there has to be a timeline.  Especially with babies who can in no way understand what's going on.  At some point, can it please be about them?  I think if the judge could feel what I feel...what the baby feels.  When it's time for a visit and she clings to me so tight, refusing to go to the lady that transports her.  I can't peel her off of me so I have to be the one who puts her in the car with tears streaming down her face while she reaches out for me, and I just have to shut the car door.  Like a robot.  And I'm supposed to protect her...when I know she'll come back home smelling like an ashtray.  She has asthma.  If the judge could for a second, feel what that's like, watch what we're doing to this baby who has no voice in this, who didn't choose any of this. Would she have made that decision a week ago?  If there's a heart in her chest, I would think not.  Why do we hold the hands of adults for months upon months while their babies live and grow up and bond with another family? The children are the ones who lose in all this.  Not foster families.  Not birth parents.  We got to make our choices and put ourselves in these spaces.  I would say sorry for the rant.  But I'm really not.  That was real and honest and raw and this is hard.  
So I wrote this blog over a month ago...just kind of explaining our hearts and who we are and why we do this and how on earth we find ourselves in this place...again.

Can I tell you what foster care means to us?  It's a ministry.  A way for us to be world changers, a way to connect with people we would otherwise never cross paths with, a way for us to share what God has given us, a way to love and live beyond ourselves, it's a witness to our faith. What it has never been...is a means, an avenue that will hopefully lead us to adoption. We have never invited someone's child into our home with the intent of making them forever ours.  Even if my heart starts to wander in that direction (because I'm human), I don't pray for it.  I talk to God about it...He comforts me, gives me peace, and we keep going. Honestly, it feels wrong to pray for it.  

That being said, there's something that happens.  I know it's real and I know God's giving me permission.  I remember it with our kids...I call it the shifting.  I was so blessed to know their birth mom, blessed to be a resource and have that relationship my heart craved.  And by God's grace, I still get to have her in my life...in our lives. But once we reached that 12 month mark, something happened.  I won't go into all the details of what we experienced in those 12 months, but 12 months...and there was no end in sight.  Nothing to make us hopeful or even encouraged about reunification.  And all of the sudden, the fight I had for their birth mom shifted and I began to fight for our children.  I believe God did it.  He had other plans for His children and He wrapped His arms around me and said...It's okay and I want you to feel this way. I'll pave the road for you, just keep running.  And once I had that freedom, I ran like the wind and His blessings were too numerous to count. He gave us the greatest gift...they have our last name.

We were in the process of adopting through a private agency when they first came.  He was born 6 months into their "stay" with us.  He was our forever baby, he was planned for, prayed for, pleaded for, and in His perfect time, God said yes and he was in our arms.  That is how adoption should look, right?  Wrong.  God has so many plans for us...and sometimes He uses pure hearts and intentions and we give Him our "yes" and then BAM!  He blesses big.  He leads you down a very particular path and reveals plans that blow your mind.  And He gives you your huge, deep, desires...when you least expect it.  Sometimes, I fall on my face with gratitude.  He has given us so much.  He trusts us.  I say this a lot, but at times, I still can't believe this is my real life.  But it is...and I look at their faces and I'm literally overwhelmed by His goodness.

So flash forward to now...our baby girl.  We welcomed her into our home on June 6th, 2014.  She was 6 weeks old.  Pure heart, pure intentions, ready to put ourselves out there and simply love. After almost 16 months of being completely in love with this baby girl in our home...the shifting has started.  I don't yet feel the permission, the freedom, I felt before.  But I feel like it's coming, and we need prayer.  It's a weird thing...praying to a God who completely knows your heart...and then telling Him that He knows your heart, but He also knows what's best for His baby.  And I don't.  

So please pray for us, for clarity and peace for our family, for protection over our baby, that her heart and mind would be unscarred no matter the outcome, and she'll grow to fall in love with Jesus.  Just pray us through this chapter.  And hey...by all means...if He's given you permission to pray "that" prayer for us, go right ahead!  A friend reminded me this passed weekend...that when we pray, the Holy Spirit intercedes on our behalf.  I instantly had this image in my head of Him going to war for our baby.  There were so many people praying this weekend.  What a privilege!  The Holy Spirit is alive and well and He was there with her every second...keeping her safe, guarding her lungs, maybe even working on the heart of her father.  I found so much comfort in that image and the reminder that prayer is power.  
Thank you prayer warriors, so very much.

In His love,
Crazy Mama Crook

2 comments:

  1. Praying Sam. You are just such an amazing person and I wish I got to see you more often. Oh, the things I could learn from you. So much wisdom, grace, faith, truth, service, generosity. I could go on and on. Praying for sweet girl and for you all. (Amy Cornwell)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy:) I don't know about that beautiful description...but I wish I could see you more often too! You've watched us up close since those very first days...do you remember the invaluable sleep advice you gave me when I was up all night every night with our sleepless one? And you taught me how to swaddle! So much laughing...and so much learning that night:) Thank you for your prayers!

      Delete